MsP Production Blog

Windows 7 Troubles with the E-MU 0404 PCI Card And How To Fix

written by :: March 5th, 2010

So after my nice little escapade with Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4, and finally being able to get a fix for it (see here for more information), I felt that I no longer needed Windows XP, and decided to make the jump to Windows 7 on my main studio computer.  I’ve been running Windows 7 on my laptop, and was reluctant to upgrade the studio computer in case I needed to run Pro Tools to mix someone else’s stuff.  I currently use Adobe Audition 3.0 right now for all MsP recording needs.

E-MU has the PatchMix system, which is a little app that runs that handles your ASIO.  On Windows XP, there used to be two different visible devices in Windows; one ASIO, and the other a standard wave device.  Usually, most non-audio production stuff would run on the standard wave device E-MU driver, and I would run Audition and FL Studio on ASIO.

However, after installing 7, I ran into an issue: there was only one device, and only ASIO would work, meaning that only my audio production apps had sound.  Everything else, Google Chrome, Media Player, iTunes, etc. would not play.

I thought it was an issue with the driver, but after doing some investigating, I found that Windows itself has a selector for sampling rate.  You need to match this rate with PatchMix.

Here’s a quick screenshot, in case you run into the problem.  Click on it to see it fullsize:

Figure 2010-03-05/1 – PatchMix and Windows 7 Sound Control Panel

Patch Mix and Windows Sound for Windows 7

Notice how both PatchMix and Windows 7 are running on the same sampling rate.  This will allow other Windows apps to use sound.

To get to the Windows 7 Panel you see above:

1. Take note of what sampling rate PatchMix is using.  If you’re using 44.1K, you will need to set Windows to 44100, i.e.
  2. Hit the Window Logo (The nice circular logo at the bottom left)
  3. Click on Control Panel (On the second column)
  4. Click on Hardware and Sound
  5. Click on Manage Audio Devices
  6. Click on the device that says Speakers, E-MU E-DSP, then click Properties
  7. Click on the Advanced Tab
  8. Choose the appropriate sample rate to match with PatchMix, then hit Apply.
  9. Test by hitting the test button to hear a sound.  If you hear the sound and do not get a “this device is being used by another application” or similar message, you’re good to go.

Growing pains, I tell you.  But at least it’s working!

By the way, thanks to the people who have so far bought tracks from Phase 3 – L.Y.R.I.C.A.L. Without Fear!

Will update soon with a vid or two, MsP news, plus a review on the EastWest Quantum Leap Choir VSTi, as promised!

-mnshyn

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “Windows 7 Troubles with the E-MU 0404 PCI Card And How To Fix”

1. I found this post while searching for music events. Thanks for sharing I’ll be back regularly.

2. Meaghan Acy says:

This is a great post, I stumbled across your story while looking for music news. Thanks for sharing, I’ll be sure to return regularly.

3. John Paterson says:

Thanks for this post. I’ve been monkey’in with this for some time now. I am also using Line6 gear and thought there was some compatibility problem with EMU, Line6, and Rhapsody on Windows 7. I had this stuff running on a laptop with Windows 7, but had problems with my desktop system. I must have set the bit depth settings the same on the laptop. Everything is working fine now that I made sure all the applications are set the same. Thanks again.

4. Patrik says:

Thank you man, you made my day!

5. Era Beyea says:

Thankyou very much, I’ve found this article very useful!

6. Thank you and god bless

7. Nikhil says:

That worked!! AWESOME.. God bless you..

8. Bob says:

Just wanted to say thank you, Saved me a headache!

9. MooN ShynE says:

No problem! I have felt your pain! It drove me absolutely insane when I first upgraded.

10. Wayne says:

Set per above instructions. Still no sound keep seeing “device is used by another app.” Any ideas?

11. MooN ShynE says:

Do you have an onboard sound card as well?

12. Wow! I stumble across this blog on google. this is really cool ! I have added your site to my faves. I will be back! By the way

13. eg says:

I found this infofrmation out a few days ago. Its great that you posted this. However, I can record from my microphone into Adobe Audition without incident. I cannot record audio from another source from my pc (for instance youtube). If you tube is playing audio, Adobe Audition says my “audio device in already in use” and will not record. Any idea?

14. MooN ShynE says:

This is actually something I haven’t tried to do yet (record from computer), but you now have me curious. I’ll try this when I get home and see what I come up with.

15. Conzo says:

You’re a hero ! Thanks !

16. Xerox1907 says:

mate I have done it but still having some problems with it. When I open it I can see the sound signal at wave but even if I put my speakers’ volume the highest, I don’t hear anything. Sometimes I see laggy sound signals like driver is not installed but I installed the latest driver. When I reboot my pc it fixes but when I reboot it again it comes back.. :S Please help. Thanks.

17. MooN ShynE says:

That’s very weird. Do you have problems with PatchMix loading on startup?

18. Guy Nimni says:

Man, You ROCK !!!

I didn’t know what to do.

I’m heading home to solve the problem thanks to you !!!

God bless you,

Guy Nimni, Israel.

19. Henry says:

Dude you are the MAN. I had an external 0404 with Win 7 and your fix was parfait. Freaked me out, it had been functioning perfectly for months and then I went from Professional to Ultimate and shit just went haywire.

Thanks B!

20. MooN ShynE says:

Glad I was able to help people!

21. SuZi says:

Wow. Thank you for this GREAT advice! I was almost to throw my PC away. You really saved it =)

22. MooN ShynE says:

glad to be of service!

23. ibn says:

You’re my hero !!!

After so many headaches i was close to break the emu 0404 with my teeths !!!

Best regards
    Merci
    Ibn from Bordeaux/France

24. MooN ShynE says:

glad i was able to help!

25. Will Barnett says:

Thanks so much. This problem has been bugging me for ages and I thought it was a problem with the motherboard/host card.

26. MooN ShynE says:

believe me, i know the feeling! glad this worked for you!

27. James says:

Thank you so much for this, a while back I got my nice new computer specifically for doing music production but ran into this exact problem, as a result I havent been using the computer as much as I should be because of how much of a pain it was to either open up an audio file in sonar or switch back to my laptop every time I wanted to listen to a music file. It’s such a simple fix as well, I feel kinda dumb for letting it confuse me for so long.

28. MooN ShynE says:

well, as you can tell by my entry, and by the commenters here, you were not alone! it annoyed me to no end, and I even at one point considered getting a new interface just for windows 7. glad it helped!

29. Kane says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

i’ve been fighting this for weeks! i randomly fixed it somehow but when i rebooted it broke again and i didn’t know what i did to fix it! i use an emu1616m in my win7 desktop with a pci adapter and i thought maybe that was the course of my problems… nope! just something stupid like a sample rate setting :)

again…. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

30. MooN ShynE says:

Glad it helped! enjoy!

31. Deon Rose says:

Do you hafta open the PatchMix and set the sample rate in that and Windows every time you boot up? Cause that’s what I’m having to do to get my 0404 to work properly, a big inconvenience, especially when PatchMix takes an awful long time to load for some reason…

32. MooN ShynE says:

No, you shouldn’t have to. PatchMix and Windows should both have the settings saved after exiting.

33. Deon Rose says:

Well, that’s what I’m having to do at mo >:( There’s been acouple times my pc failed to boot because of this card. Also, before I can get any sound atall, I first have to load up PatchMix, and it doesn’t play DVD audio properly (Tried to watch District 9, up until the actual feature sound was fine, soon as it started, could only hear background, no speech???) It’s a very good card for audio production; the sound is crisp, clear and alot louder and more defined that my onboard, cut my cpu load in half. And I’d love it… if I could get the f****** thing to WORK!!! This is really distressing, may hafta auction it on eBay if this continues… Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks…

34. MooN ShynE says:

I feel your pain on this, as this card was one where it took me a bit to get it to work, and when it finally I did, I tried my best not to tinker with anything just to avoid having to get it to work again if it fails. As far as your DVD issues, this may be a long shot, but does your DVD player software have a setting for speaker surround sound? Usually the center channel in a surround setup is what is used for speech, and maybe it’s trying to distribute sound only to left and right channels as appropriate for a surround setup? If it is set to surround, set it to stereo instead, and that problem should go away.

Once the card was up and running, it served me well for a number of years. However, I’ve since moved on from the 404, I’m using a Mackie Onyx 820i, which has done wonders for me so far, plus you can’t beat the feel of hardware and Pro Tools. Prior to PT9, these Mackie mixers were the only hardware outside of DigiDesign/M-Audio that you could use Pro Tools with.

35. Jason says:

Thanks!! I want to let you know how much frustration you have alleviated with this post. I upgraded Windows 7 64bit from 32bit over the weekend and kept getting that awful, “this device is being used by another application”, message. I could not, for the life of me, figure it out. I was so fed up, I was about ready to go buy a new sound card. Luckily I searched one last time and found this. I have a 1212m and the same solution worked for me.
    Thank you again!!!

36. bnkwsk says:

Thanks! That was very helpful.

37. cg says:

thanks man! i was so frasturated with this problem. im lucky i found your post!
    many thanks!

38. Sndrella says:

Kinda rage going on here. I cant instal patchfix on windows 7. Because i use the windows 7 beta driver. I see you use w7. What kind of EMU drivers do you use? Version etc?
    If you use Vista driver(tried to instal but got error about it couldnt find supporting hardware or w/e), what driver and some tricks to instal it?

39. Jay Blongz says:

Thanks for this!! I just built a PC to supplement my mac and bring my old 1820M back to life. This definitely solved my head scratching on Win7 64bit. Kudos!

40. pratman2 says:

Hi,
    How did you get the E-MU 0404 PCI even installed, I cannot seem to get the thing installed, I have searched the web over for answers. I have the 0404 PCI, NOT THE PCIe. Windows installs its crappy driver, when I run E-MU’s it says its up to date, when I uninstall the Windows driver, and run E-MU’s it says it can’t find the hardware.
    I am running Win7 x64, and have the latest 0404 driver from E-MU’s site. Thanks for any help!

41. Nick says:

Cheers, I actually reverted back to XP because of this problem, now ive got 7 again.

42. Harold says:

Thanks man!
    I installed XP again after these problems.
    Now I can Instal W7 again and make it work thanks to you.
    Bad case that EMU doon’t give the information on there website.

Greets Harold (from Holland)

43. eddek says:

Thanks for solution. It’s works!

44. Aido says:

Which driver did you use to the emu 0404 PCI. Is still work fine on Win7 x64?

THX

45. Syre says:

Ive done all this but cannot play both wave and asio at the same time. whichever i play first the other gets disabled until I close all apps and reopen. Any ideas, im out. Thanks

46. mmm12 says:

Your hint worked for me. The same trick was also necessary to enable the Wave L/R – HOST output from patchmix back to the windows sound system.

I use that channel for sending a specific source to a recording device (CD Wave editor) in order to avoid recording system sounds.

47. h4rp says:

wonderful :) now i dont have to throw my computer out of the window. big thanks you made my day!

48. JockePocke says:

Sigh! Thanks! I almost reverted to XP with my 1616M PCMCIA E-MU audio card. If I tried to play a sound awhile opening the patchmix, then sound played until it ended. When started again – no sound. And if I started the patchmix first – no windows sound. ASIO however worked just fine. Frustrating. Your fix just saved my evening.

49. Groszek12 says:

I have “growing pains” with it too. But at least… it doesn’t work ;(

My problem is quite different, cause it’s about recording sound only.
    Software with is recording sound – like AudaCity, or APTuner tells “Unable to start recording with currently selected device” or “Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate”. That’s odd because everything is done correctly!

I don’t know what to do with it! If anyone knows, please help my! (Sgramsz@gmail.com)

50. cjrcl says:

Thanks a lot!!! This makes my original EMU 0404 work in Windows 8.1!!!